I finally finished my first Google Android application which I started about 15 days ago, which was much, much longer than I expected it would take and I am still not totally happy with the way things turned out. (I did not work every day, nor did I spend full days at it, but still it compared to the 12 hours it took to create similar Python+Tkinter application it was certainly a disappointment.) Of course, this being my first Java program I guess I should not have expected miracles. My second post on the subject shed some early light on the issues I was facing.
I can sum my major Android frustrations as follows:
- XML is required for UI
- No drop down list control (I used Spinner instead)
- No multicolumn list control (I used GridView instead)
I also run into some bugs, like some bug in GridView that caused crashes whenever the layout changed. Luckily there was a simple workaround with focus.
I quite liked the Eclipse plugin for Android development.
Update: You can download the complete project directory with Caltroid.apk and all. Grab your copy here. Please note that I work on Linux so files will have Linux newlines.
Update 2: I made Caltroid project page.
- None Found