In the UI front the quickstart project used a lot of images to make rounded corners and so on to make everything look good in cross-platform way. I dislike this practice, so I decided to see if I could take the basic layout and not use any images for corners and backgrounds and the like. I think the result looks pretty good in modern browsers, including the default browser in Android 2.1.
-moz-linear-gradient did the bulk of the work. Which reminds me that I forgot to look for the equivalent of
-moz-linear-gradient for other browsers…
The template language I used was Genshi, both because it is the default that comes with TG2 and the quickstart project, but also because I wanted to try out another template language as well. The thing I like about Genshi is that it guarantees I get well-formed output. However, its use of XPath can be a pretty steep learning curve to someone who doesn’t know XPath (like me). I did not see how to control the whitespace around elements: in some cases I have elements one on each row, other times they end up on the same row. I think I also could not get a comment to appear at the end of the document (to put in page rendering time, for example, although it turned out you’d need to hack tg2 itself to get the rendering time – unfortunately I lost the link).
I originally had bigger plans for the application, including forum, password recovery and so on, but canned those plans for now because I realized I could not find enough time to do all those and ship something before the summer. Part of that I did get in, although it is only exposed to the admin user. Being the security-minded geek that I am, I hacked the auth code to use bcrypt. I also learned about doing password comparison in a way that does not leak information due to timing.
I designed the small protocol that the Android client uses to communicate with the server. Most operations are covered by the following:
>>>request<<< POST /users @JSON@ >>>response<<< 201 Location: /users/123 >>>request<<< GET /users/123 >>>request<<< 200 @JSON@
>>>request<<< POST /users/123 @JSON@ >>>response<<< 200 @JSON@
Incidentally, if you'd like to write another client (iPhone anyone?), let me know...
I wanted to wrap the client API in its own class, but could not get that to work as a separate class so had to just settle with a method that does way too too much. Something I hope I can visit later.
I really wanted to like Turbogears 2 since it is based on my favorite, Pylons, but I actually felt that TG2 was getting in my way almost as often as it was helping me. I am happy that I did not have to write the auth code from scratch, and having the admin area almost as easy as in Django were big wins, but since I did not yet implement the forum (where I think I could really have used more of tg2's strengths) I would probably have been better off with plain Pylons. The documentation has been in flux the whole time I've been working on my app, some things working, some broken, and I had to resort to comments at the end of docs and doing web searches to try and figure things out. There were periods of time when the dependent packages were out of sync, and you could not even get a working quickstart project without setting version limits. I think that the controller methods not returning the actual string to render can be potentially big headache (for me, I just could not get the timing information output into the end of the returned HTML). I'd say TG2 has potential to be great, but right now things feel a little bit too unfinished. I know 2.1 will fix some of the issues I run into, but I don't know if anyone is looking at checking and cleaning up the documentation.